last day in ghana
Tonight, after one full year in Ghana, I’m leaving the country to travel for two weeks in South Africa with Adam and Ben.
I’m really excited for this trip and then to get back to the US, but before I go I wanted to make a short list of things I’ll miss about living here.
- My housemates who provided me with an endless supply of great company and tasty Indian food. Plus the adventure of raising two German Shepherd puppies.
- The radio station that almost exclusively plays a random mix of 90s R&B and country music.
- Fresh mangoes and plantain chips.
- Reading for countless hours under the shade of a tree while “working” in the field.
- Surprise torrential rainstorms that create a deafening static throughout the house.
- Friendly people striking up conversation at every opportunity. (This also could be filed under things I won’t miss; I’ll appreciate being able to leave my house without being accosted every 10 steps.)
- Being a conspicuous stranger. (I have enjoyed the existential and sometimes material benefits of my dual anonymity and celebrity. However, this is also at the very top of my things-I-won’t-miss list.)